Stoney Point – Swimming 2020
STONEY POINT YMCA - CURRENT AQUATIC OFFERINGS
AVAILABLE FOR YMCA MEMBERS ONLY
Preschool (3 – 5 yrs), Youth (6 – 12 yrs)
30 min class
Develops personal water safety and basic swimming skills in students of all ages.
Stage 1: Water Acclimation – This stage lays the foundation that allows for student’s future progress in swimming. Students in this stage focus on exploring the aquatic environment and personal skills with instructor help, Develop basic skills to propel and glide through the water, learn basic aquatic safety.
Stage 2: Water Movement – Students focus on body position and control, directional change, and forward movement in the water while also continuing to practice how to safely exit in the event of falling into a body of water.
Stage 3: Water Stamina – Students learn how to swim to safety from a longer distance than in previous stages in the event of falling into a body of water. This stage also introduces rhythmic breathing and integrated arm and leg action.
Preschool (3 – 5 yrs), Youth (6 – 12 yrs)
30 minute classes (Summer Session)
Introduces and refines stroke technique in older students.
Stage 4: Stroke Introduction – Students in this stage develop stroke technique in front crawl and back crawl and learn the breaststroke kick and butterfly kick. Water safety is reinforced through treading water and elementary back stroke.
Stage 5: Stroke Development – Students in this stage work on stroke technique and learn all major competitive strokes. The emphasis on water safety continues through treading water and sidestroke.
Stage 6: Stroke Mechanics – In this stage, students refine stroke technique on all major competitive strokes, learn about competitive swimming, and discover how to incorporate swimming into a healthy lifestyle.
DEVELOPMENTAL SWIM TEAM
July 6th, 2020 – August 5th, 2020
Mondays and Wednesdays: 9:30 AM – 10:30 AM
This program is designed for anyone between that ages of 6 and 12 that is finished with the regular progressive lesson classes but needs a little tune-up before trying competitive swimming. Grounded in the fundamentals of the sport, this program teaches and reinforces proper technique in each of the competitive strokes. Perfect for those who wish to learn about competitive swimming before joining a team.
- All Stage 1, 2, & 3 classes will require a parent/adult guardian in the pool with swimmer. No exceptions.
- Instructors will teach from the pool deck, they will NOT be in the water with the classes.
- Spectators will NOT be allowed in the pool areas or be able to wait for classes inside the YMCA’s. You will be allowed to use the facilities (if open to other uses) according to building usage rules as outlined in reopening plans and guidelines.
- Pools will be closed to all other uses during scheduled lesson times. (reservations will not be available for lap swimming – our staff will let you know if the time you request to reserve is not available due to programming)
- All Stage 4, 5, & 6 classes will be taught in the deep end of the pools. Class participants will be in the pool on their own.
- All Stage 4, 5, & 6 class participants will be evaluated on first day of lessons to assure their ability to safely perform skills in the deep end of the pools. No one will be allowed to continue the classes if they are unable to safely swim in the deep end.
- Each class has a maximum of 6 registered participants.
- All classes will follow social distancing guidelines and established norms.
- Locker Rooms and/or changing facilities will NOT be available.
- Showers will NOT be available.
- Bathroom facilities for use during your lesson time will be available.
- Please come to your class ready to swim – swim suits on and bring your own towels and clothing to wear over swim suits.
- If first class day is your first time back at a YMCA, you will be required to read and sign a COVID-19 waiver form before using any facility. This is a one-time waiver, but must be completed.
- Facilities will have separate rules/procedures for checking in and entering the pool area. Please follow signage and/or verbal guidelines as provided.
- Please do not arrive at or enter the YMCA for your class any earlier than 15 minutes before your scheduled class time.
- Upon being allowed to enter the pool area, please follow all lifeguard prompts as well as instructions from the swim lesson teachers.
- A specific area, either bins or benches, for clothing and towels will be provided for each participant. Please do not leave belongings in any other place than the provided bins.
- All traffic areas in pool area will be sanitized before lessons begin, between each lesson, and at conclusion of the lesson day.
- Please exit the pool and pool area promptly at conclusion of your lesson. Bins, benches, traffic areas and bathrooms will need to be sanitized before the next classes begin.